Pages

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... thanks Dr. Seuss

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Days 7 - 10 Badlands or Bust...

     The weather gods have been with me so far.  While the midwest had floods before I arrived and my friends back east have been building arks the last few days, my little Toyota and I have had continual sunshine.  My friend Dale arrived in Minnesota last Wed. and we had one more day to rest the horses before setting out on Thursday (Sept, 30) for points west.  I had a great visit with my brother Al and Toni as always and an entertaining evening with my niece Janie and family.
     We didn't get too far out of town before the law was on our heels. A state trooper pulled us over for excessive speed but was quickly convinced of my innocence and the error of his ways. He gave me a warning to slow down and a warning that the highway ahead was under water due to flooding and we'd have to take a detour. And we did. Slow down and take a detour which added some time but did take us thru rural Minnesota and it was fine. We waved at the Jolly Green Giant in Le Seuer on our way by. Song of the day " I Can't Drive 55 " by the Hit Crew.
Mitchell "corn palace"
     We hit the South Dakota border and I put the pedal to the metal and off we went to Mitchell SD to visit the famous "corn palace." Yes, this is a building famous for being built out of corn cobs. Multicolored and odd, worth the drive from anywhere.  We ended the day on the banks of the Missouri River in Chamberlain, SD.  Lewis and Clark spent three days here while on their expedition. We didn't have as much leisure time as them so Friday morning we were off again. Before leaving we did visit and tour the St. Joseph Indian School in Chamberlain.  Its been in existence about 85 years and has about 200 children in residence and attending school. Dales mother used to donate to it which is why we thought about visiting and I'm so glad we did. Its a wonderful organization and there is a link with more info on the side of this blog.
     Off we went straight west across South Dakota and miles and miles of prairie (translate to hours and hours.) We exited at Cactus Flats and headed into the Badlands National Park. I can't begin to describe how beautiful this area is.  Suddenly from the rolling prairie you're in the Badlands "buttes" with deep canyons, towering spires and flat -topped tables.  It seemed like movie set. Frank Lloyd Wright wrote " I've been about the world a lot, and pretty much over our own country, but I was totally unprepared for that revelation called the Dakota Bad Lands..what I saw gave me an indescribable sense of mysterious elsewhere - a distant architecture, ethereal...an endless supernatural world more spiritual than earth but created out of it. "  That says it all.
     The scenic highway took us on a 30 mile loop thru the Badlands and spit us out in  famous Wall SD, home of Wall Drug, the biggest "drugstore"  in the world. In reality a hokey tourist trap but one must stop and we did for lunch.  I gambled on a "buffalo" burger and lost.
     We spent last night in Rapid City, SD at the "historic" Alex Johnson hotel. My investigation has revealed that Neil Diamond stayed here, thus the label "historic." We are heading back thru the Badlands this afternoon and are due to meet our contact from the Re-Member Organization at 2PM at a highway  marker one mile west of Rt. 18. This is quite rural. I've mentioned to a few people that we are headed to Pine Ridge and have been met with raised eyebrows. We've been listening to " Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" in the car and  have done lots of reading the last couple months about the Lakota Sioux both past and present. There is no internet, cell phones or red wine on the "rez." So readers, I can't post any updates until next Friday, Oct. 8th when we are off the reservation. Check the link if you want more info on this organization.  Tokhi waniphiki ni.  Wish us luck!
cue the prairie dog! yes, he's real.

1 comment:

  1. Love the prairie dog, maybe one can be Riley's friend!

    ReplyDelete