Pages

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... thanks Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Days Four, Five and Six "All Aboard"


      Allright, some of you did know I'd be driving thru West Virginia.  And yes,  I do have a map (or ten) for you skeptics. I just don't always look at them. Weather update...I seem to be little Mary sunshine on this trip, beautiful weather so far.
     I left St. Joseph MI in my dust on Sunday morning after attending local church and drove up the west coast of Lake Michigan. The highlight was a walk around the quaint little town of Saugatuck on the Kalamazoo River. It reminded me of a New England fishing village.  I chatted it up with a fellow fishing from the dock who had already caught three salmon that morning...and big ones!
     Spent an uneventful night in Ludington and then boarded the SS. Badger steamship for the 60 mile trip across Lake Michigan. This car ferry is so different than those to Marthas Vineyard. It has staterooms, movie theater, "boatique", televisions, two restaurants. I'm making it sound grander than it was. Built in 1953 to transport railroad freight cars, it is now the only coal fired steamship in North America. But the best part was the "camp director" who kept us amused with lame jokes and bingo. I think you had to be wearing a velour jogging suit or be from Michigan to win.  No sour grapes for me.  I bought my own souvenir coffee mug.
     The drive across Wisconsin thru major dairy farm country was lovely. Was going to snap a photo of one of the big farms but figured you all know what a cow looks like. I took one small detour and stopped at a local shop where I bought prize winning pepper jack. ...what prize you ask? Blue ribbon at the "international" cheese fair in Madison, WI. of course.
     Its nice to be able to relax and reenergize after all this driving with a few days with Al and Toni in Edina.  Next update probably Thursday from the Badlands.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jane~ You are truly a women of the 21st century!!Sorry I missed the day you were at Joanne Harvey's!! I think everyone would love to do this same trip.....not sure I would have as many friends to stop and see along the way!! I am living vicariously thru your blog!!Thanks for sharing with all of us!I am just waiting for the east coast storms to go thru to drive to florida....no where near as exciting!!

    ReplyDelete