Pages

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... thanks Dr. Seuss

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Oct. 21- 25 Santa Monica



          Its official. I touched the Pacific or at least it touched me, now I can turn around and drive home!    The ocean was in sight for most of this week but I felt I needed to stick my toes in before I could head back East. The last few days have been spent with Betsy and Andy (and Scout and Journey, their two dachshunds) in Santa Monica. The time here felt like I was home. Time to relax and stay put for awhile.
Kids and dogs
We walked the Santa Monica boardwalk and beach, shopped a little for house stuff, nice dinners, and generally did what moms do when they are lucky enough to spend a little time with their adult children. Its the best. We had family over for a barbecue one night....Betsys cousins Ben Cady  (who teaches  nearby) and his sister Janie Pirtle and family (last seen several weeks and postings ago back in Edina, MN. Where will they show up next? Sort of a "Wheres Waldo!").  I did a little R&R work on the car. It was starting to look like a homeless person had been camped out in it.  Got the "check oil " lamp turned off, the car cleaned, and shipped my sleeping bag, etc.  home that I've been carting around since the "rez." All set for the trek home.

    Spooky palms


     The time flew by there and after a final dog walk, Betsy and I headed out to Palm Springs yesterday (Oct.24th). Its only about a 2 hour drive east thru some urban sprawl. But then you're in the desert and boom, green lawns and golf courses. We're are staying at the Colony Palm Hotel which I guess used to be a hangout for the "rat pack." Definitely no rats here now. Its a delightful little spot where we've treated ourselves to facials and massages. To clear our guilty consciences from this decadent lifestyle, we drove out of town this morning to Indian Canyon and did a little hiking. Once again a beautiful day and we went about 4 miles.  Pretty little  "oases" of  towering palms in the midst of a canyon surrounded by mountains. Can you beat that?

My only goal was to be poolside by 1pm  and we missed it by a few minutes. At the moment we are both in our spa robes, sitting by the outdoor fireplace (once the sun starts to set it gets chilly quickly) enjoying a glass of wine and playing with our computers. I have tried to upload a picture of us but it ain't cooperating. Will add it if I get a chance. Sadly Betsy is flying off tomorrow to home and work and I am off to the Phoenix airport. Talk to you from Santa Fe. 
     


              
    

2 comments:

  1. Your other daughter is jealous of the spa, hiking, cousins/brother in law... I wish I had been there too. Luckily its my turn in a few weeks... can we convince Betsy (and the Pirtle family) to make a surprise Atlanta appearance??

    ReplyDelete
  2. and can't wait until you get here and we can treat you to some cajun cookin'

    ReplyDelete