Pages

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... thanks Dr. Seuss

Monday, October 18, 2010

Oct. 17th The Roadtrip to San Fran

     Yesterday epitomized what I envisioned when planning this trip. Connie and I left Healdsburg, took a few wrong turns just trying to get out of town, and had the best adventure driving to the coast and down to San Francisco. What is the most fun on this trip is setting off in a direction and not knowing what lies ahead.
Russian River
     We took a little winding road westward through seemingly remote vineyards along the Russian River. Probably not so remote if you live there but its a long way from Greenwich.  It was misty and beautiful. There are a few little resort towns along the river such as Rio Villa with cottages nestled along the river. It reminded me a little of the Adirondacks in upstate New York. Except for the redwoods!
           Just as the river joins the Pacific Ocean we turned south on California One. The landscape changed to more rolling hills and farmland for awhile until we neared Bodega Bay. Then we had the classic California coast with bluffs overlooking beaches. We didn't meet Tippi Hedren or Rod Taylor while checking out the locales for
Hitchcocks classic movie "The Birds" but did recognize a few buildings. The birds must have gone back to Hollywood because we couldn't spot a single one.
Only Bodega birds are stuffed!
    


 Asked for directions but they just kept barking

  
      Next we came upon Tomales Bay, an estuary about 40 miles NW of San Francisco known for its oysters. Lunch at Nicks Cove on the water. Perfect. Fire in the fireplace, bloody mary. Crabcakes (I know, I should have had oysters but...) More info...check my "links."







  

     So, to wrap it up, onward towards San Fran passing thru little beach towns on our way. . Then...as my brother Al might describe the situation.... Mr. Toads Wild Ride began. Hairpin turns with dropoffs to the Pacific on our right with of course no guardrails. You may recall from my crossing of the Bighorn Mtns. back in Wyoming that this is not my idea of fun. The white knuckle express lasted about 30 minutes until we FINALLY came out of it with the Golden Gate Bridge in front of us. I guess the area we drove thru is called the Mt. Tamalpais State Park but I can't be sure because I never took my eyes off the road ahead. Connie had her eyes shut and was mumbling prayers so she was no help.
     Connie treated me to a night at the very chic Hotel Vitale and a great dinner at Zuni Cafe. Of course we played tourist and had the obligatory glass of wine at the Top of the Mark. Sadly Connie left this morning for home and I'm off to Palo Alto.

No comments:

Post a Comment