Pages

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... thanks Dr. Seuss

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Oct.8- Oct. 9 Bison or Bust

     After much hugging and kissing, exchanging of emails and promises to keep in touch with our new friends,  Dale and I left Pine Ridge about 8am Friday morning and set off to explore them thar' hills...those are the Black Hills of SD called so because they look "black" from a distance due to  the thick covering of pine trees. I proclaimed I wasn't going to be happy until I'd seen a real buffalo up close and personal. Suddenly Dale hooted and I looked to the right and there were 3 bull buffalo trotting along heading right for us and the road. Perfect!
     We drove around Custer State Park on the "wildlife loop"  and didn't see much to shout about for most of the drive but when we did, it was like Animal Planet. We saw more and more buffalo..in fact a herd was wandering up the road and passed all around us. Dale was hanging out of the sun roof snapping away while I sat and laughed. We also got caught up in a herd of mules and we were definitely not the first people they'd ever seen. They ambled up and stuck their heads right in our open windows. Lots more laughing.
     Next was a visit to the Wind Cave National Park and a tour of the wind cave  naturally. It was dark, it was a cave. The only scary part was the elevator broke down and we were stuck 200 feet underground for an extra 45 minutes. It was scary because I wanted to strangle our
cute little pixie of a tour guide in her darling Smoky the Bear hat.
     We drove by the Crazy Horse monument and waved from the road.  At Mt. Rushmore we sat in the car, looked at each other as we both thought....allright, I see it, lets keep going. But, having driven 2400 miles to see it, we paid our fee, parked, and went to see the famous sight. My daughter Meg asked if it was a little "underwhelming" and that about says it all. Maybe we were just tired but you sort of have to ask....whats the point?
     Friday night found us at the Hotel Bullock in Deadwood. Dale unfortunately had to change plans due to an emergency and flew home Saturday morning. Yesterday was the first day that wasn't so much fun. I drove 400 miles in a light drizzle from Deadwood to Cody, WY. The weather was gray and I was lonesome without my pal next to me. I drove over the Bighorn Mtns. and as I got higher and higher, the temp. got lower and lower until it was 34 and there was snow on the ground. I was either driving thru a cloud or fog but I didn't like it one bit. I don't like heights, I don't like driving thru mountains on a good day and I hated this. And yes, there were a few "oh shits" muttered. By the time I got to Cody I'd had it even though I was supposed to drive another 50 miles to the Pahaska Tepee Lodge. It was a good decision to stop..one must be flexible. Today is sunny, 70 and I'll wave at theTepee Lodge as I go by!

PS. I appreciate all the emails I've received. It really helps to know you're all "out there" as I'm rolling along.  Also, not many entries in the "how many miles will I drive" contest. Email your guesses to me and I'll post a list.

  

3 comments:

  1. Jane, what an amazing trip you are having. I'm enjoying the blog and look forward to more postings. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the photo with you & Dale in front of Mt Rushmore is great, no more doubting "underwhelming" statements from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane..It was great seeing you and meeting Lynn and Harriet at La Fonda in Santa Fe for drinks last week. Like La Posada in Winslow, La Fonda is another quintessional Harvey House hotel here in the Southwest. Sure hope you girls behaved yourselves at the Mineshaft Tavern in Madrid - you can get yourself in a lot of trouble there if you didn't ride in on your Harley! LOL! We'll be checking your blog from time to time for your progress (now that I have its address again!). See you on the Vineyard next summer. Best...Jack and Edwin

    ReplyDelete