Pages

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... thanks Dr. Seuss

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Days Two and Three Sept. 24-25

    Lets begin todays blog with a geography quiz. Who knew that if you drove between Reading PA and Columbus OH you would drive thru West Virginia? Be honest. You didn't know. It was a beautiful drive thru western PA over mountains and thru tunnels...past Johnstown and Chambersburg. These towns jogged memories of stories my Dad would tell. He loved to drive and I think I got my love of driving from him. He took our family on the mother of all roadtrips in Dec. of 1959. Six of us, four kids, two parents from Syracuse to Dallas TX and back to see SU win the Cotton Bowl and become national champions. This was before interstate highways, no electronic devices. Lots of adventures and fun. Most of the time.
     Fortunately there are interstates now and I arrived in Powell OH around 5:30 to visit with my friend Joann Harvey who was my neighbor and buddy in Manlius NY in the early 80's. Her son Danny and his darling and athletic  2 yr. old sons stopped by for a visit. Lots of fun.
     Todays drive was a little dull but I did pull over on my was past  South Bend IN to visit Notre Dame. In my honor they'd scheduled a football game against Stanford. Lots of excitement and it felt good to stretch my legs with a lengthy walk around the campus.
     Tonight I'm in St. Joseph MI which is advertised as the "riviera" of the midwest. No comment.
     Now, to get those competitive juices flowing I'm posting my first contest. John Dudzik, are you listening? You must enter to win, no purchase necessary, one entry per person. Guess how many miles I will drive on this trip and win a prize. My odometer started at 52,200. The itinerary is there so you can try and figure it out. I unofficially thought about 10,000 miles.
     Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment