Pages

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... thanks Dr. Seuss

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day One....Liftoff Sept. 23

     To paraphrase Neil Armstrong, today was one small step for man, one giant leap for Jane. After many months of planning I managed to pack the car, drop the dog and drive away from Greenwich only 20 minutes behind schedule. I would have left on time if I hadn't been looking for my ipod which I finally found in my back pocket. Good thing since I have spent hours making a "road trip" playlist. Todays song of the day is "road trippin" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
     Not a cloud in the sky, a perfect day to start with only a 3 1/2 hour drive.  I'm visiting with Dale and Dan Goodyear who live in Robesonia PA not far from Reading.  Dale and her roommate Kathie  Lien lived across the hall from me in Furness House my freshman year at Skidmore.  The last time we've been together was at her wedding in Buffalo in 1987 but obviously we've stayed in touch.  Our former dormitory is now a bed and breakfast in the very gentrified Saratoga Springs. Maybe I'll stay there on my next cross country trip. When we were in school  we occasionally hopped off the bus that took us between classes at the "old" and "new" campus for  a 15 cent draft at the No Name Bar in town. Nice that the school provided that service for us.
     The Goodyears have been here for about 23 years on fifty five beautiful acres of farmland. Dales mother, Connie Eddolls lives with them in her own apt. in the former barn. Its beautiful! Dale is retired from teaching 12th grade English and Dan from running a Pennsylvania steel foundry.  Until three years ago they raised lhamas and have an incredible setup of barns, paddocks, fields. At one point they had over 250 animals.  This started as a  hobby and got way out of control! The lhamas have been sold and the farm is for sale as Dale and Dan would like to try something new.
     The "snapper" soup" with dinner was delicious. Seven hour drive tomorrow. Dale and Dan have 2 labradoodles...Archie and Maggie.  Six months and 8 weeks. They won't stop barking.  I'm going to have to stop here at the end of the trip to see how the training is going.

1 comment:

  1. Jane, I am watching your progress. just in case you can't see my pic, i am robbies mom. our big black lab. see you in November. Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete